Peak Discharge: SCS Peak Discharge Method
The dialog box for the SCS peak discharge method is shown below.
· Input for the SCS peak discharge method:
· Unit System – English or SI unit.
· Solving Target – Peak discharge or time of concentration.
· Equations – Rational method or the SCS peak discharge method.
· SCS Rainfall Type – Select one of the SCS rainfall types (i.e., Types I, IA, II, or III)
· Curve Number – SCS’s dimensionless number that is used as a measure of runoff generation capability of a watershed (see Table 3.12). It is a function of soil, land cover and treatment.
· Rainfall Depth – 24-hr cumulative design rainfall depth. This rainfall depth will be distributed across the 24-hr duration according to the SCS rainfall type selected.
· Drainage Area – Area of the total watershed that drains to the location where the peaks flow is determined.
· Output for the SCS peak discharge method:
· Peak Discharge – Peak flow generated from the watershed.