Why a Hot Start File important in InfoSWMM and InfoSWMM SA, SWMM5
A Hot Start File in InfoSWMM InfoSWMM SA is important as it provides initial depths, initial flows and initial settings for the hydrology and hydraulics features of the SWMM 5 engine. You have three options:
- Save a hot Start File at the end of the simulation,
- Use a hot Start File at the beginning of the simulation,
- Create a hot start file from the a time during the Map Display
If you change any of the network types or add new links and nodes then the Hot Start file needes to be recreated. InfoSWMM InfoSWMM SA use the Tab File in the Run Manager to name the Hot Start File (Figure 1). Each and every Scenario in InfoSWMM InfoSWMM SA can use or Save a different scenario with different starting and ending times (Figure 2). If you USE a Hot Start File then:
- The new simulation starts at the end of the old simulation
- You can run a Quasi Steady State Simulation and use a very short simulation time of minutes if you use a Hot Start File
- Figure 3 shows the effect of Using a Hot Start File
Figure 1. File Tab for Saving or Using a Hot Start file in InfoSWMM InfoSWMM SA. There is a similar dialog in SWMM5.
Figure 2. Each Scenario in InfoSWMM InfoSWMM SA can have a different set of report and simulation options.
Figure 3. The Saved Time Series for the Outfall (Blue) and Use (Green) Outfall Time Series.